We're Not Afraid Of Going To Trial
Sarasota Burglary & Theft Lawyer
Accused of a Theft Crime? Let a Former Prosecutor Defend You!
At the Law Offices of Eric Reisinger, we know how the state prepares cases involving allegations of theft, including burglary. Before setting up our practice, Attorney Eric Reisinger served as a prosecutor at the State Attorney’s Office. He knows the strategies the state uses to pursue a conviction.
Our criminal defense firm can quickly evaluate the evidence they have against you and assess the merits of their case against you. We can anticipate the tactics they will use and can help you take proactive steps to protect your constitutional rights.
Our firm handles the following types of theft crimes in Sarasota and Arcadia:
- Burglary — If you have been charged with entering someone else’s property with the purpose of stealing or taking something that does not belong to you, we will fight to protect your constitutional rights, looking at the evidence to determine whether there was consent to enter or take property, as well as who owned the property.
- Shoplifting — We defend people being prosecuted for consumer theft. We will determine whether there was a video, as well as whether you actually left the store with unpaid merchandise.
- Grand or petty larceny — We take theft cases regardless of the dollar amount in question.
- Employee theft or white collar crime, including embezzlement — When you have been charged with taking money or goods from your employer, we will carefully examine the facts to determine whether you had access, as well as whether police have evidence that you actually received or used stolen goods.
What Are Florida’s Theft Laws & Penalties?
In Florida, theft occurs when a person takes another individual’s property with the intent to keep it permanently or temporarily or using someone else’s property without the owner’s permission. There are two main types of theft: petit theft and grand theft.
Petit theft is less serious than grand theft and considered a misdemeanor offense, while grand theft is a felony. The criminal penalties are determined by the value of the stolen property.
The following are the penalties for theft in Florida:
- Second-degree petit theft – The stolen property is worth less than $100. Second-degree petit theft is a second-degree misdemeanor, which carries a maximum jail term of 60 days and a fine of up to $500.
- First-degree petit theft – The stolen property is worth between $100 and less than $300. First-degree petit theft is a first-degree misdemeanor, punishable by a jail sentence of up to one year and a maximum fine of $1,000.
- Third-degree grand theft – The stolen property is worth between $100 and $300 and taken from another person’s home, worth less than $20,000, a motor vehicle, a firearm, a will, or taken from a construction site. Third-degree grand theft is a third-degree felony, which carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine no more than $5,000.
- Second-degree grand theft – The stolen property is worth between $20,000 and $100,000. Second-degree grand theft is a second-degree felony, punishable by a maximum prison sentence of 15 years and a fine not exceeding $10,000.
- First-degree grand theft – The stolen property is worth at least $100,000. First-degree grand theft is a first-degree felony, punishable by imprisonment for up to 30 years and a fine not exceeding $10,000.
A conviction can also result in driver’s license suspension and a civil lawsuit filed by the alleged victim.
Ready to Help You Today!
Our Sarasota theft crime defense lawyer aggressively defends people who have been charged with theft offenses, handling all matters for you. We will prepare and file all documents required by the court and will be your advocate in all hearings or proceedings, from arraignment to plea negotiations to trial.
Contact our Sarasota burglary & theft defense lawyer today for more information about our firm.
Not Guilty Verdict 2016 CF 004875 NC – Life Felony Second Degree Murder
Not Guilty Verdict 2017 CF 000169 – Life Felony Armed Robbery
Successful Resolution 2017 CF 002479 AX – 15 Counts of Possession of Child Pornography
Not Guilty Verdict 2017 MM 11498 – Misdemeanor Battery and Misdemeanor Sex Offense -Unnatural and Lascivious Act
Case Dismissed 2018 CF 000323 – Two Counts Felony Battery on a Person 65 or Older
Case Dismissed 2018 CF 002675 AX–Felony Battery on a Person 65 or Older
“An articulate, professional, talented attorney.”“I strongly recommend him if you are in need of a defense attorney!”- Kathy
“I would definitely use them again!”“Did exactly what they said they would do, was very responsive and helped to resolve my legal issue quickly.”- Heather
“Now I have a regular driver's license and no felony record thanks to these guys.”“They were able to amend my charges so that I am no longer a habitual traffic offender and I was able to get my drivers license right away.”- Diane
“I am very pleased with how quickly the issue was taken care of.”“My experience with the Law Office of Eric Reisinger was fantastic!”- Talia
“I wouldn’t trust any other attorney.”“I felt like I was talking to some one I could trust, good price ... and I couldn’t be happier with this firm.”- Able
“When it comes to legal defense you need Eric in your corner.”“If you need legal assistance you have found the right attorney.”- Kevin
“Attentive, efficient, and communicated with me quickly.”“My experience with attorney, Eric Reisinger was exceptional.”- Lisa
“He did everything he said and more! I am extremely grateful Eric!”“If you need legal counsel STOP looking and call Eric Reisinger.”- William