We're Not Afraid of Going to Trial
Sarasota Murder Defense Lawyer
Former Prosecutor With Trial-Tested Experience
Murder and Manslaughter charges are some of the most serious criminal charges a person can face which could result in you or a loved one losing everything and going to prison for many years and even for life. You need a young aggressive former prosecutor on your side who can defend you as your criminal defense attorney.
At the Law Offices of Eric Reisinger, we are here to help fight for a positive outcome. Eric Reisinger has successfully prosecuted people charged with murder and was the first person in Sarasota County to successfully use the “Stand Your Ground” defense, which resulted in his client’s second-degree murder charge being dismissed.
Florida Murder & Manslaughter Laws & Penalties
Homicide is the unlawful act of taking another person’s life. There are many types of homicide charges, which include first degree premeditated murder, second degree murder, felony murder and manslaughter. Murder in first degree and second degree is usually a premeditated or planned act that takes another person’s life.
On the other hand, manslaughter is usually an accident or negligent act that caused another’s death. There are two main types of manslaughter: voluntary and involuntary manslaughter.
The following is a breakdown of murder and manslaughter charges in Florida:
- First-degree murder – Premeditated murder and felony murder are first-degree murder charges. The former means a premeditated killing, while the latter means killing someone while committing or attempting to commit a violent felony. First-degree murder is a capital felony, punishable by life imprisonment without parole or the death penalty.
- Second-degree murder – Murder with a depraved mind and accomplice second-degree felony murder are second-degree murder charges. The former means killing someone without premeditation but acting with complete disregard for human life, while the latter means acting as an accomplice to someone else who killed another person while committing or attempting to commit a felony. Second-degree murder is a first-degree felony, which carries a life prison sentence and a maximum fine of $10,000.
- Third-degree murder – Killing someone while committing or attempting to commit a non-violent felony is third-degree murder, which is a second-degree felony that carries a maximum 15-year prison sentence and a fine no more than $10,000.
- Manslaughter by act – This type of voluntary manslaughter charge means committing an intentional act that caused another person’s death, which is a second-degree felony.
- Manslaughter by procurement – This type of voluntary manslaughter charge means encouraging or persuading someone to perform an act that led to another person’s death, which is a second-degree felony.
- Manslaughter by culpable negligence – This type of involuntary manslaughter charge means performing a “culpably negligence” act that led to another person’s death, which is a second-degree felony.
Ready to Protect Your Rights & Freedom in Trial
No matter what type of murder or manslaughter charge you face, you need the help of an experienced former prosecutor who has prosecuted and defended these charges to help you fight these charges. Do not hesitate to reach out and request a free consultation to learn how we can help you.
Contact us today to discuss your case and legal options with our Sarasota murder defense attorney.
Not Guilty Verdict 2016 CF 004875 NC – Life Felony Second Degree Murder
Not Guilty Verdict 2017 CF 000169 – Life Felony Armed Robbery
Successful Resolution 2017 CF 002479 AX – 15 Counts of Possession of Child Pornography
Not Guilty Verdict 2017 MM 11498 – Misdemeanor Battery and Misdemeanor Sex Offense -Unnatural and Lascivious Act
Case Dismissed 2018 CF 000323 – Two Counts Felony Battery on a Person 65 or Older
Case Dismissed 2018 CF 002675 AX–Felony Battery on a Person 65 or Older
"An articulate, professional, talented attorney."I strongly recommend him if you are in need of a defense attorney!- Kathy
"I would definitely use them again!"Did exactly what they said they would do, was very responsive and helped to resolve my legal issue quickly.- Heather
"Now I have a regular driver's license and no felony record thanks to these guys."They were able to amend my charges so that I am no longer a habitual traffic offender and I was able to get my drivers license right away.- Diane
"I am very pleased with how quickly the issue was taken care of."My experience with the Law Office of Eric Reisinger was fantastic!- Talia
"I wouldn’t trust any other attorney."I felt like I was talking to some one I could trust, good price ... and I couldn’t be happier with this firm.- Able
"When it comes to legal defense you need Eric in your corner."If you need legal assistance you have found the right attorney.- Kevin
"Attentive, efficient, and communicated with me quickly."My experience with attorney, Eric Reisinger was exceptional.- Lisa
"He did everything he said and more! I am extremely grateful Eric!"If you need legal counsel STOP looking and call Eric Reisinger.- William